Sunday, May 29, 2011

Another travel to Bamako!

So once again I am in Bamako, I have another medical issue so I came to Bamako for a check up.  It is quite crazy since I have been here less than 2 weeks ago.  It is also crazy to think of the time gone from site. I will be back in Bamako the 11th for IST training which last for 2 weeks.  The first 2-3 months is suppose to be time spend with the community for integration, to learn their culture, and start inquiring into the needs of the village and what projects I could do for the next 2 years.  Yet I have been getting sick quite often that I have missed a lot of this time for my integration!  It is taking its toll on me physically and mentally being sick, it is very tire some, but being here in Bamako, I have been able to catch up on sleep that I haven't had in the past 2 weeks.  I have stomach issues, insomnia, and my viral infection still, it is very difficult dealing with this at site, especially dealing with it alone.  It is difficult to discuss the issues you are having at site, because a lot of your illnesses is lost in translation with the locals as well as the lack of knowledge of common diseases.  The other day a girl in my village was having hiccups but they took it as a serious disease, I told her why she had her issue and she was like no, it is a sickness! Also, since many of the locals are very strong and tough people, they have to be, so many illnesses are just ignored because it could interrupt with their daily lives and lively hoods.  There is no such thing as a paid sick day in most villages, if you are sick and forced to take a day off then you lose that days income which could bankrupt a family.  It is difficult to experience when you see people with disabilities caused by injuries and illnesses that were just ignored. So with that said, they acted that it was odd for me to go all the way to Bamako just to visit a doctor but we as Americans and even as Volunteers, it is very imperative to take care of ourselves here. African way of life is very tolling on Americans and Western Civilized people, everything we have is difficult since it is very foreign to our bodies.  Lets hope I get better soon, although I know I will get sick again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment