Sunday, May 15, 2011

More Adventures... or not!

So I am currently in Bamako, about to leave actually after being here for a week.  I have been sick with some unknown disease, they call it a viral infection but not 100 percent what caused it.  I had major pains in my lungs, my chest, I had a migraine that lasted for 14 hours, nausea, fever, major headache and other such fun symptoms.  They do know that it was not Malaria though which is good.  So I have been in Bamako which was a nice break, hanging out with other volunteers, enjoying the air conditioning and have some good food, only thing is that I spent a fortune here but it was worth it.  I do not feel 100 percent yet but I feel it will be good for me to go back to site and see my villagers, I haven't seen them since last sunday!  Plus I will be going to my regional capital next weekend for my birthday celebration, big 26!!!

Before I got sick, things were going okay...  I have been trying to find ways to motivate myself to stay, I had an LCF visit for 6 days which was a great help.  He helped me find a tutor which will make Bambara a little easier to learn.  He also talked to my villagers to let them know that I do not eat fish so they will not make it for me anymore which I am so happy about.... I hate fish! As for nothing to do, I find out that the reason I have not visited my service since I have been at site is because they will not be opening this year.  They did not pay taxes or electric last year so they will be shut down.   I wish I knew this before hand but my homologue (local counterpart) decided not to tell me.  He has been avoiding me at all costs which is annoying since he is the one I am suppose to count on to meet my community start my work.  Only reason I found any of this out was because my LCF told me...

At site, I have been reading a lot and watching a lot of tv shows on my laptop to help get by the boredom.  I read in front of the boutique so the villagers gets to see me.  I have been trying to spend significant time with them and show them that I do care.  I really like my villagers, it is still taking some time to adjust to the life here.

I managed to get a lot of new downloads for my ipod as well as tv shows for my computer.  I am starting to get into glee which is an awesome show!  I have a lot more to watch at site.   I will be going to ist in less than a month which will be another nice break! Then we are allowed to travel to other areas.  We will have a 4th of July party in Kaye which will be awesome and then I will probably go to Sikasso and visit the waterfalls.  I need to plan these trips so it will help me stay here as long as possible, nice little breaks from site every so often!

Well next Saturday is my birthday and I will be going to Bougouni on Friday to Sunday... I will be with clare and some other volunteers, it will be nice to celebrate it with other volunteers, versus alone with my village which just sounds awful!

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment